“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sharing my story!

A few weeks ago Bishop Penrod asked me to speak about my conversion, I of course said yes but as soon as I did all I could think was man I really don't want to talk in front of everyone I'm not ready for this. I worked for about a week trying to write down my story, the whole time thinking there is nothing special about my story, and wondering what he wanted me to say,  and really how do you write about yourself. 

I talked with friends about how nervous I was, they assured me I would do fine and that they couldn't wait to her me speak. Man the pressure was on. So everyday I would write, I think I wrote my speech at least 10 times over the course of a week. Then the day came I was so nervous not only to talk in front of the members of my Ward but also in front of all the visitors and President Catlett, President Ratledge, as well as the missionary President and his wife. Steven was going to be there so I knew that I could just look at him when I got nervous.

So It was my turn to speak, I got up there I shared my story of conversion, and the only thing I read from what I wrote was a scripture reference for D&C 64:33 "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great"

I guess I didn't have to write anything down I just needed to speak from my heart.

Well I did not pass out to my great relief, and everyone seemed to enjoy my story. I guess no matter how insignificant you might think your story might be others might find it inspiring and uplifting. I will never worry about sharing my story again :) I also realized how happy I am to be a Mormon!



The Book that changed my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment